MACBOOK Pro Best Tips and Trick to Try in 2021
The developers of the macOS operating system have put a lot of necessary assignments into it and made it understandable to operate. However, not all default settings are effective. Many of us do not even know about dozens of useful tricks. And they are.
How to password protect a folder on Mac?
If you need to hide information, it is better to password protect some folders. The creators of macOS did not provide an option to set a password. But confidential information can be transferred to a secure container. This requires the “Disk Utility” panel – a standard solution for this operating system.
It can be opened using Launchpad, or found under this path – / Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility app. And after that, create a disk step by step:
1. In the menu bar, find “File → New image → Disk image from folder”.
2. A window will pop up on the screen to protect the selected folder.
3. To save, you need to give a name to the file object, you can add a tag, if necessary, and specify the storage location.
4. The menu will reappear on the screen, where you should select the “Encryption” function. There is AES encryption (128 bit – fast and 256 bit – secure). Choice according to needs.
5. You need to register a password (code). Moreover, twice. Fix it in memory, because then it will be almost impossible to resume access.
6. Next – “Image format”. There are two possible ways: “Read” and “Read / Write”. If no changes are planned, you can safely choose the first option, otherwise – the second.
7. Then click “Save” and wait a couple of minutes while the encrypted DMG image is created. That’s it, you can now delete the original folder.
To go to the folder, you need to find the specified location of the image, double-click on it and enter the password.
MacOS tip: The program prompts you to save the cipher in your keychain. This will reduce the path taken to zero, it is better to refuse.
Dual booting Windows and macOS
Sometimes it becomes necessary to have two different operating systems for work. It is possible. This feature is called “dual boot”.
|from Windows||from macOS|
|1. First option:||1. Need a boot manager, while starting the computer, click on the volume “Windows” (Boot Camp).|
|in the taskbar on the right, click on the up arrow to open hidden icons;||2. Select the Boot Camp volume in the “Boot Disk” settings window, and then restart the computer.|
|then click on Boot Camp;|
|in the pop-up menu, click on Restart in macOS.|
|2. Second option:|
|using the start menu, restart your Mac in Windows OS;|
|Hold the Option (or Alt) key until the restart starts;|
|Go to your Mac boot volume (Macintosh HD) and click Revert or the top arrow.|
Operating systems have different features and benefits, and now you can use them all by easily switching between operating systems.
How to increase text size: good advice for a macOS user
On pages opened by Safari in macOS Sierra, you can easily increase the size of the text. In addition, Safari will remember the settings you set until the history is cleared. This is done by simultaneously pressing the Option-Command- + (plus) keys .
By the way, if you need to make the text smaller, then the same commands are used, only with a minus (-).
You can also zoom in on the page itself using Command- + (plus) or by choosing View → Zoom In.
How to Install or Uninstall Mac Apps: Working Tips
This process is very simple and straightforward. But for users who have switched from Windows, you need to know some nuances. There is nothing like installers in macOS. You need to download the program (transfer it from a USB flash drive, disk, etc.) .dmg format.
All Mac applications provide virtual appliance functionality, containing different types of information: documents, images, programs, and more. To see the contents, you need to double-click on the file name. The OS will do the rest of the work by creating a virtual disk and adding an icon to the Finder section.
The already assembled disk stores a ready-to-use program that does not require installation.
Advice to the macOS owner: it is impossible to launch the program from a virtual disk .dmg, because this is only a container for transportation. Copy Apps to your hard drive into the Programs file object – and that’s it! After these manipulations, you can remove the .dmg disk by clicking on the icon in the form of a triangle opposite its name.
Another tip for macOS users: don’t drag and drop the program directly into the Dock. Otherwise, a launch shortcut will be created, but the application will not be moved to the Applications file object. Clicking on such a shortcut will constantly mount the disk image in the system. In addition, all information inside is available only for reading, that is, it will not be possible to save and edit.
And when it comes to simple tips for macOS, it’s worth remembering that the best way to install programs and applications on the Apple Mac Pro Touch Bar 13 is through the App Store. There is a great selection of software.
If you need to uninstall the program in macOS, the procedure is as follows:
- “Programs” → clicking (right) mouse button on an unnecessary application → “Move to trash”.
How do I remove USB devices and memory cards in macOS?
” YUSB” -fleshki , memory cards, removable disks are functioning perfectly well with MacOS. The operating system mounts them as a separate disk on the computer and makes it easier to work with them. It is important to disable them correctly, but not everyone knows how to do this.
Continuing the topic of useful tips for macOS, we will tell you about seven ways to remove USB devices and memory cards.
1. Drag & Drop is a popular option. All devices connected to the computer appear as an icon on the desktop. You can hook it with the mouse and drag it to the trash can, which at this moment turns into an eject icon.
2. The context menu on the disk or in the background of the window has the “Extract” item. Click on it. The advantage of this method is that the manipulation can be done not only from the desktop, but anywhere where the disk itself is located, simply by calling the context menu.
3. The menu bar for extraction is suitable for those who don’t like to use a mouse. From the open drive’s menu, select File → Eject.
4. The Finder sidebar displays all drives by default. Click on the “Extract” item.
5. The combination keys ⌘ (Command) + E . It must be pressed when the drive shortcut is highlighted or its window is active.
6. There is an Eject button on the keyboard for ejecting DVDs.
7. Disk Utility will also help you eject the disk. In the sidebar of this app, select devices and click Eject.
There are quite a few ways, so everyone will find it convenient.
Switch between open apps on macOS
Switching between different applications quickly and easily on the Apple A2179 MacBook Air 13 is very easy. The keyboard shortcut Cmd + Tab is fine. This only works with apps like Xcode and Google Chrome, but not with windows of the same app.
How to unlock MacBook with Apple Watch?
Apple Watch makes it easy to use your MacBook. The smartwatch automatically logs in when it approaches the computer. You can also use an accessory to confirm password requests. This adjustment makes life much easier.
Please note that in order to activate these features, you must enable two-factor authentication. You can do it like this:
- System Preferences (CH) → iCloud;
- “Account” → Apple ID password;
- “Security” → “2-factor authentication”.
For authorization to occur automatically, you must:
- set a password on Apple Watch;
- in “CH” on the laptop, select “Security Protection” → “General” → “Unlock Mac with Apple Watch” (confirm with a password).
It’s simple. Now with a watch in hand, as soon as the user opens the MacBook, the device automatically starts up without passwords. It seems that the creators of Apple gadgets have worked hard to make life easier for their fans. It turns out that the more equipment of this brand you have, the easier it is to manage it.
How do I clean macOS LaunchPad?
Another tip that newbies and sometimes experienced macOS users often look for. LaunchPad is an application management feature and it is not easy to remove installed programs from it. Of course, if these are applications from the App Store, then everything is clear (click on it, hold until the “x” appears and click to delete).
But such as Safari or Mail, the operating system does not give permission to delete. Although there is always a way out, or rather, deletion through the “Terminal”:
- open Finder, click on “Go” → “Utilities”. A window will appear with a black square named “Terminal”. You can also click on the search (magnifying glass) and register “Terminal”;
- enter: sqlite3 ~ / Library / Application \ Support / Dock / *. db “DELETE from apps WHERE title = ‘APPNAME’;” && killall Dock. Next, replace APPNAME with the name of the application, recognizing it through the Applications folder.
After these simple manipulations, LaunchPad will be updated and the application will disappear.
How do I use trackpad gestures to navigate on macOS?
Apple laptops have a ton of multi-touch gestures in the touchpad.
Here are some tips for using the most useful ones:
1. Basic (required for easy navigation)
- click (right / left) – there are no buttons here, so touch with two fingers at the same time for the right click, and for the left one – with one. Touching with 3 fingers will start searching for the required words
- to scroll, you need two fingers, just move them up or down;
- scaling, as on a regular iPhone, is done by squeezing or stretching with your fingers.
There is also a smart zoom: 2 fingers touch the trackpad twice, which zooms in or out;
- in some applications, such as image editors, you can rotate the picture by moving two fingers accordingly, in the same way as on the iPhone.
2. Tips for using advanced gestures in macOS, which not everyone knows about:
- You can open Action Center by sliding two fingers from the left edge of the trackpad. By the way, closing it is simple: you need to make the same gesture in the opposite direction;
- Mission Control and LaunchPad will appear when you move up with 4 fingers (in some versions of MacBook you need three, try different tips);
- Expose can be activated by stretching down with 4 fingers (or, again, 3);
- the “undock” movement will help to display the desktop. You will need four fingers (including your thumb), which you need to spread on the trackpad in different directions.
You can disable or customize these gestures by following this advice: press and hold on the right side of the trackpad with two fingers, and then select the controls you want to disable or enable.
How do I use Night Shift on macOS?
To organize the most comfortable work at a laptop in the evening, the creators have provided the Night Shift function. Thanks to her, as soon as it gets dark outside, all the tones become more “warm” and “soft”. To set the “Night mode”, open the “Monitors” section in the standard settings. In the third tab, you will see the desired item and you can enable automatic settings or select the time to enable / disable this mode.
Tips for using macOS Dark Mode
The darkness mode is considered very comfortable for work. The user clearly sees the work area, and unnecessary elements are darkened and fade into the background. To start Dark Mode, you need:
- go to “CH” → “Basic”;
- select a design option: light or dark;
- click “Use”.
In some variants, the “auto” mode is available, which automatically switches from dark to light mode and vice versa, depending on the time of day.
AirDrop File Transfer: Tips on how to use it on macOS
Apple gadget users have long been accustomed to wireless file transfer using the AirDrop function. It can be used not only with APPLE A2179 MacBook Air 13, but also with iPhone, iPad , iPod touch, for this:
- open the file you want to send, in the application window, click “Share”;
- click on the file in the Finder window, while holding down the Ctrl key, then → “Share” in the context menu;
- in the list of options, find AirDrop and select a recipient from it.
There is another way:
- open AirDrop;
- select the user to whom you want to send the file and drag and drop it onto the recipient’s icon.
To receive a file from a nearby gadget, you need to click “Accept” on the notification.
How do I use Mission Control on Mac?
This is a popular solution for managing the desktop (PC) on Mac gadgets. It is useful for those who use multiple PCs or work with 2 monitors. To run, use:
- trackpad – pull up with 3 fingers;
- mouse – double touching the surface with 2 fingers;
- the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Up Arrow or the Mission Control (MC) key , as well as through the icon in the Launchpad or Dock.
Thanks to this function, you can easily navigate between the windows of active programs by pointing and pressing the cursor on the desired window. Whether working with Split View, multiple PCs, or full-screen programs, it’s all at the top of the MC screen.
Therefore, it is very easy to switch between them without unnecessary movements.
There are many more nuances that are learned directly in the process of use. For example, you can easily minimize an open window or bring it back. In any case, this is a feature that, after trying it, users do not want to work without it.
Parental Controls on macOS: Installation and Configuration Tips
MacOS offers ample opportunities to control children while using a laptop and surfing the Internet. Here you can set the boundaries of the time spent at the computer , block access to certain programs, folders and even web pages.
First, you need to create an account with parental control: “System Preferences” → “Parental Control” → Create a new account.
After that, you can start setting up:
- in the “Programs” section, restrict or allow access to different applications;
- in the “Web” tab, you can define valid web resources:
- “Stores” – to prohibit or restrict the ability to download applications;
- “Time” – this tab allows you to choose clear time limits for using the computer;
- “Privacy” – a tab for setting access to confidential information (locations, contacts, photos, etc.);
- the “Other” tab allows you to set additional restrictions.
The “Logs” menu gives parents the opportunity to see a complete list of actions during work, which is also very informative and convenient.
Quick tip: how to set up Apple Pay on macOS
Apple Pay on a MacBook, of course, you can’t pay at the checkout in a supermarket, but shopping online will become easier. Bank card data is entered once, and then you only need to confirm payment via Touch ID or Face ID (if your MacBook model does not have Touch ID, then this is easy to do, for example, via iPhone 7 32 GB ).
Set up Apple Pay on MacBook with Touch ID:
- System Preferences → Wallet and Apple Pay → Add Card. Clear prompts will appear, following which, it is easy to complete everything. If these bank cards are already used on other gadgets from Apple, activation will be performed after entering the security code.
- If it’s a Mac without Touch ID, you need to enter the settings on the iPhone by going to Wallet and Apple Pay and confirming the “Pay on Mac” option. When you place online orders using your Mac, your iPhone will ask you to confirm.
How to block websites on macOS?
3 tips from an expert:
1. Block any site on Mac – use the “Screen Time” function. To do this, click:
- CH → Screen Time → Enable → Content and Privacy menu → Content → No Adult Sites → Customize;
- in the “Limit” section by clicking on the “+” you can add any url-addresses that require a block. Further – “OK” and when entering these sites, an error message will pop up.
2. Another blocking option is to use the “Terminal”:
- open “Terminal” and paste the command “sudo pico / etc / hosts” there. After that, the password from the Mac will be requested and the “Enter” button will be displayed;
- an editor (text) will appear in front of the user, where in a new line it is necessary to register: 127.0.0.1, then a space and a web resource that needs to be blocked. After that “Enter” and so you can list all the websites that need to be blocked (a separate line for each);
- to save the results, press Ctrl + O and “Enter”;
- close the “Terminal”. After these manipulations, when trying to open one of the listed sites, the user will receive a refusal.
3. Use special applications. There are several of them in the App Store, so you can choose the most suitable for individual requirements. Experienced macOS users suggest using 1Focus.
Here you should choose a convenient option. They are effective, it is only a matter of the owner’s decision.
The creators of Mac computers have spent years, and continue to work today, to offer the user the most simple system possible. At the same time, there are many interesting chips that even experienced macOS users are not aware of or forget about. The tips above will help you make this technique easier and get the most out of it.