HOW TO REFLASH YOUR PHONE: STEP BY STEP GUIDE 2020
Many smartphone owners face the need to rewrite their phone. Such a need may arise when a malfunction of applications is noticed, the battery is quickly discharged, and replacing with a new one did not help, the device does not turn on in case of other failures. If you notice such violations of the device, but do not know how to reflash your phone at home, then this article will be very useful for you!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE FLASHING YOUR PHONE?
Phone flashing is a complex technical procedure that requires certain knowledge from the user in this area. The owner of the device or the person who took on this work must have a clear idea of the sequence of all its stages. After all, the slightest mistake made during flashing can disrupt the operation of the smartphone or completely disable it.
To understand how to reflash a Samsung, Lenovo, Huawei, Oppo, Nokia or any other phone, you need to find a suitable firmware that will match the device model. If there are several options available on the web, then it is better to opt for the official version from the developers, and not some custom mod. Since the modified firmware may not start at all on the phone or lead to malfunctions.
Before starting the process of flashing your phone, you need to fully charge the battery. The procedure for updating the software can take a long time, and if the smartphone is disconnected at the same time, then it will be very problematic to restore its performance. You also need to choose the most convenient and effective way to flash your phone:
- Built-in system utilities.
- Installed applications.
- Special programs for PC.
It is important to remember that flashing any phone will delete all user settings, data and files, including photos, contacts, application cache, and more. Therefore, to save all information and restore it to the device after reinstalling the system, you need to back up your data. This procedure can be implemented separately:
- Export contacts to the device memory and save them to external media.
- Transfer photos and documents to cloud storage.
- Save the entire application cache using a google account.
But it is more efficient and easier to perform a full backup of the smartphone. This will require special utilities that can be found and downloaded on the Internet. One of these is the CWM Recovery program. With its help, you can not only backup data, but also perform a number of other functions:
- Install a system update or new firmware.
- Use switched off phone as external storage device for PC.
- Format sections of the smartphone’s memory.
- Unlock your phone if you forgot your pattern.
HOW TO REFLASH YOUR PHONE AT HOME?
In this section, we will look at how to reflash an Android phone using the installed CWM Recovery utility. To do this, you need to restart the device, and when you turn it on, press the combination of buttons to enter the system menu.
The sequence of pressing the buttons may differ depending on the manufacturer and model of the device. But most smartphones are talking about the power and volume up button.
This will open the system menu with a list of suggested actions. In order to reflash your phone using CWM Recovery, you need to perform the following operations:
- Reset device settings to factory settings . To do this, select the item “wipe data / factory reset”, and then click “yes”. By the way, in some cases, when some applications malfunction in the smartphone, resetting the settings can solve the problem and you do not need a flashing.
- Install new firmware . After completing the first point, you need to return to the CWM Recovery start menu, select the “Install zip” line and click on the “Choose zip from / sdcard” item. Then you need to find the firmware file with the zip extension saved in the phone’s memory. Then you need to confirm your choice: “Yes – Install …”, after which the installation process will begin. At this point, it is strictly forbidden to perform any actions with the smartphone and press buttons.
- Reboot the device. Upon completion of the installation of the new software, the message “Install from sdcard complete” will appear on the display. Next, you need to restart your phone. To do this, go back to the start menu and select the “reboot system now” item. During the flashing of the device, you need to be patient, because the whole procedure can take more than 10 minutes.
HOW TO REFLASH YOUR PHONE IF IT WON’T TURN ON?
If the phone does not turn on and you cannot use the installed utilities, then you will need a computer and special software to flash the device. To pair your smartphone with a PC, you must connect it using a USB cable. Then you need to install the phone drivers (computers with the operating system Windows 7 and higher do it themselves).
To learn how to reflash a Samsung, Lenovo, Prestigio, Meizu, NTS or any other phone, you need to use universal programs that are suitable for all smartphone models. The most popular and easy to use are:
- Adb RUN.
After installing one of the listed programs on your computer and using the menu prompts, you can reflash a phone that does not turn on. In this method, it is also important to first find a suitable firmware version for your smartphone. For phones of some manufacturers, special programs have been developed. With them, the installation of new software will be as correct as possible. For example, the proprietary Odin program is used to flash Samsung smartphones.
WHY IS SELF-FLASHING A SMARTPHONE DANGEROUS?
Before you flash the phone yourself, you need to think several times and realize all the possible risks associated with updating the software. There are several ways to avoid this procedure. The most effective are a factory reset or an official manufacturer update. Otherwise, it is better to contact a certified service center.
Why is alternative smartphone firmware dangerous?
- By downloading the firmware version from the Internet, you cannot be 100% sure that it will be installed correctly and the smartphone will work correctly.
- If you install an alternative firmware yourself, the factory warranty is automatically canceled.
- Unsuccessful firmware can disable the smartphone, after which it will stop turning on.
- Incorrectly installed firmware can erase the IMEI of the phone, due to which it will not be recognized on the network. After that, it will not be possible to fully use the smartphone.
- Handicraft firmware can degrade Wi-Fi performance, drain your battery quickly, use up all your RAM, and more.
It is better to reflash your smartphone yourself if you are familiar with this procedure and have performed it repeatedly. For inexperienced users, we recommend contacting official service centers for help, and not looking for solutions to the problem on the network.